Intern!

ÓMÓ BUTTER IN THE STREETS!

As my third day being an intern, I already had a routine. Wake up by 5:00 AM, work out for 15 minutes, start making my brothers breakfast finish like about 6:30, go and bath be ready by like 7:02 AM, then the driver takes me to work but of course the third day just had to have a twist. Woke up later than usual due to some work assignments, so I was leaving the house by 7:20 AM hoping to be able to beat any traffic that I may see and get to work before 8:00 AM or few minutes past.
Like about ten minutes away from home, which is quite far already due to Abuja roads but not too far because of early morning "Go-slow". We were in traffic, I was on my laptop trying to finish up on my work assignment when the driver tells me to wear my seat belt because of the road safety officers that were in front. I tried to be sly about it, I honestly tried 😅😅 but it wasn’t good enough because the road safety officer still  stopped us. The man now started going on and on about how he can see inside cars that are 100 Meters away. 
I looked at my time, it was 7:40 and I was yet to leave Dutse, talk less of entering town. We parked at one corner and the argument started. First offence; The drivers, license had already expired. Second offence; we had  the photocopy of the vehicle papers and they were not good enough, they wanted the original. I checked my time again it was 7:50, “AHhh, how will I get to work??
My parents are really over protective. so even, as a soon to be twenty year old, I haven’t entered a cab before, added to the fact that I don’t go out, I really did not know anywhere. My annoying friends sometimes joke that, Id be kidnapped and dropped in this same Abuja and I wouldn’t even know. 

On one hand, I can’t blame my parents for being overly cautious,  strange things are happening all over the world but can you actually live if you keep considering the fear of the unknown? No. so,how then have you now lived?.. Anyways....
I called my dad immediately but he didn’t pick, so I knew the chance to take my freedom was finally here. a now or never kind of situation and I meannnn 💁💁💁.  God works in mysterious ways Maybe this was his way of granting me my independence.
Thankfully, one of our family friend in the office I work in, was just telling me the way around and how to find my way on my own. When she was telling me, I was just half listening because I felt I wouldn’t need it. 
I came down from the car, because he was going to the road safety office, to pay his ticket and I had to be at work. Holding my lunch bag on one hand and my strap bag on the other, I started hailing a cab to Area1. As I stood there I started trying to mentally remember the tips and tricks my friends tell me on picking the right cab because I wasn’t about to enter one chance and lose my freedom forever.
When I saw men with strong face, I looked away or a cab filled with men, or maybe a car that is looking like its the grace of God that is allowing it to still even be moving. I couldn’t remember all the tips but I had my trust in Jesus.
 When I saw the one going to my destination and fit into the qualities, I entered. I was at the edge of the 10 seater car. So I thought “good, las las if anything happen, I fit fly window”
The journey started, we picked up passengers and I wasn’t at the window no more but the man there was skinny, so I still felt small hope. 
We were already in town and I didn’t want us to miss my bus stop. The driver started slowing down and he collected money from the skinny guy who was headed to area 1 too but not the same bus stop. I had to ask where we were quietly, I might not be street smart but I know it’s unwise to let people know you don’t know your surroundings. I mean, it’s only common sense. He told me where the exact location we were and we started conversing. He explained my directions well after I told him I schooled abroad and just came back. Lol

It was 8:30 and I arrived at Area 3 junction, the skinny guy told me it was an easier route. I dropped on express and I had to get keke Napep (tricycle) from the other side of the road to take me to the office. Meaning i had to cross the express. i held my bag tight to my chest, my lunch pack (very important) looked left and right and ran.
 I don’t mean jog o. like run run run because the speed people use on that road ehn and “mi o le wa ku” (I can’t come and die). I got to the keke and I entered and got to work at 8:40. 

On getting to the gate of my office, the thought just hit me like “wow, you did it ”. My phone started ringing “DAD”. He didn’t shout but he strongly felt I should have called for another driver and I’m like, “daddy I need to build my street cred” jokes o, I just said some grammar, I know the case is cool, till we jam at home. 
Take your chances TBL squad. Our street cred won’t build itself. Stay safe



Comments

  1. Ahh Ahn, oshey the adventurous woman. This seems so fun to experience, because honestly, I've never entered a cab alone too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My fellow omo butter, come and collect zobo

      Delete
  2. 😂😂😂i was just imaging you running while reading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is finally learning 😂😂😂

    ReplyDelete
  4. LMAO...& people call me ajebutter

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oshey!!! Welcome to the thug squad 😏

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Dating a feminist

The cherry not The icing